This is a traditional German Cucumber Salad (Gurkensalat) which is totally KETO friendly. Since I was a child, this has been a favorite. This recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. You can elect to substitute apple cider vinegar for a balsamic vinegar if you prefer. Leaving the skins on the cucumbers gives it a texture and flavor that I do not prefer. Again that is totally up to your taste buds. A rich creamy flavor develops best when marinated for several hours before serving. INGREDIENTS:
- 2 large cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon Stevia
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar + 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or (in Mexico 1 tsp Garlic Herb pinch by McCormick)
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- OPTIONAL ADDS: Tomatoes, garbanzo beans, feta cheese
- Spread cucumbers and onion on a paper towel; season with salt and let rest for 30 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture from cucumbers.
- Stir sour cream, sugar, vinegar, dill, and parsley together in a large bowl.
- After sucking up the salt, and being squeezed, gently fold the cucumber and onion slices into the sour cream mixture.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Even better over night. Garnish with with fresh parsley and paprika. ENJOY with any meat dish. KEEPS in fridge for 5 days, so double the recipe and enjoy for days!Cucumbers are great for any person living the KETO Lifestyle. You may like to use a few other ingredients to make this zesty Thai salad. So stock up on cucumbers!
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 red Thai chile pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, spiralized or sliced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
Combine rice vinegar, Stevia, sesame oil and chile pepper flakes in a small bowl. Mix well.
#2 bowl, combine cucumber, onion and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
Pour liquid mixture over cucumber mixture. Toss until cucumbers are coated well. Place in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
One thought on “Kidney Health Salad”