Coffee and a cupcake, what a wonderful way to wake up! Especially yummy with this Espresso flavored icing! The coconut flour does not overpower the taste of a regular chocolate cupcake. KETO grams per cupcake: Total fat 22.68g ; Total carb 6.5g ; Total fiber 3.42g ; Total Protein 6.12g. Youtube demo below. Keto shopping list below.
CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE RECIPE:
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 7 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules (enhances chocolate flavour)
- 7 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup Swerve Sweetener ( Stevia, or your favorite )
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk ( add more if batter is too thick)
ESPRESSO BUTTERCREAM ICING INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder (or instant coffee)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered Swerve Sweetener ( or your favorite )
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AMAZING CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with parchment or silicone liners
- Use large bowl, whisk the melted butter, cocoa powder, and espresso powder.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat til well combined. Then add coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder and salt and beat til smooth.
- Add in the almond milk. If batter is still thick, beat in more almond milk 1 tbsp at a time until it thins. Batter should be scoopable consistency. It will not be pourable.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin tins and bake in center of oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cupcakes are done when the top is set. Toothpick test, prick the middle pick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
BUTTERCREAM ICING MIXTURE:
- Use small bowl, stir together hot water and espresso until coffee dissolves. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, whip cream until it forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and sweetener together until creamy. Add coffee mixture and beat until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in whipped cream carefully until well combined.
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes with a knife or offset spatula, or pipe on with a decorating bag.